Thursday, May 13, 2010

Biting the bullet.

I have five beginnings of blog posts saved in drafts.  They start out being something interesting, and my mind wanders, and I can't make any sense of them past the first two sentences.  It's pathetic, actually.  So.  As a result of my lack of intelligent, even semi-interesting writing ability...let me sum up:

I.  My kids are amazing.  
   A.  The girls took their required fifth grade standardized tests on Tuesday, and they rocked them.  As a homeschooling mom, I question every decision, every curriculum choice, every teaching moment, every battle to get something finished, every single day.  Their test results made me...giddy.  They're not only getting the job done, they're kicking butt.  
  B.  Bryson can borrow.  I know this doesn't seem like a big deal to you...I get that borrowing is something you could do with your eyes closed and your hands tied behind your back.  But the girls couldn't borrow to save their freaking liveswhen I tried to teach them.  We literally spent an entire month working on the concept.  I don't know if Bryson just has a knack for math...it really seems like his brain just works that way...or what it is, but the look on his face when he finishes an assignment...well, it's mirrored in mine.

II.  I am completely insane.
  A.  May 2nd, I helped pull off an all-church celebration event at the Pickelner Arena here in town...my responsibilities included lights, sound, and helping to organize and lead worship for the event.  So many hands were involved in making this happen...and after hours and hours and hours of prep...it all came together.  I can't even tell you how long I spent in front of my computer screen making slide shows and organizing song lyrics.  Hours.  The response from the congregation, the overwhelming presence of God, the feeling at the end of the day...priceless.
  B.  I'm still in the process of moving this blog.  So far, nothing more than moving three months worth of posts and updating with each new one I write here has actually happened...but the process continues.   http://fiveofuscrazy.blogspot.com  <--- that's where you'll find me.  
  C.  I may have inadvertently taken on a wedding cake three hours away from me three weekends from now.  This week.  And it maybe wasn't inadvertently.  I'm not completely sure.  I hope my brother doesn't mind a house guest (or 4) that weekend. 
  D.  I had two wedding cake consults within 14 hours of each other this week.  I can't remember the details of either cake clearly without looking at my notes very carefully.  Hopefully I remember what each of the brides (and grooms) said.  :)
  E.  I have become obsessive about checking my email.  And less capable of producing a decent status update.
  F.  Complete insanity implies that I may not actually share all of the details with you.  It's part of the insanity.  Some of that is frustration with what it includes...some of it is just that...he he...I like secrets. :)  Insanity...it's a part of my life I sort of relish.

III.  Spring may never actually get here.
  A.  We have had snow, rain, sleet, frost, wind advisories, and heat in the past three weeks, with the heat being the most scarce.  Seth brought home a huge pit liner from work yesterday, torturing the children with the thought of an industrial strength slip-and-slide for the back lawn.  The temperature climbed to a whopping 64 degrees today, and Bryson was beside himself over the fact that I would not let him use it today..."Mom, it's HOT out.  Almost!"  Mmm. Yes.  Almost. 
  B.  Tomorrow's forecast calls for a high of 82.  You won't find me holding my breath.

IV.  My girlfriends and I should stop planning get-aways.
  A.  Tomorrow, we planned to leave for the weekend, meet at a tiny little cottage at a conference center someplace in Western PA, and spend the weekend being silly, scrapbooking, and talking until we fell asleep.  This marks the third trip we have cancelled in the past three months.  Sigh.  For the time being, we have given up.
  B.  Eventually, I may just take a trip all by myself.  With a couple of good books, my blog, P90X dvd's, and yummy snacks.  At a sweet little bed and breakfast in the middle of nowhere.  Cell phone optional.

V.  P90X has changed my life.  And my body.
  A.  I have completed 72 of 90 days of my first round of P90X.  I have never, ever felt stronger, more energized, or more happy with how I look.  Ever.
  B.  Getting up at 6:00 in the morning or before has never even crossed my mind as something I would look forward to.  Until now.  Even when I've only gotten 4 hours of sleep. 
  C.  I think there is something wrong with me.  But I like it.  And in 19 days, I'll start round 2.  And after that, I'm pretty sure I'll try Insanity.
  D.  I have hit every single one of the goals (and surpassed some of them) I set at the beginning of this 90 days except for the weight goal...which is a little silly...because I picked a random number out of the air (a number I haven't weighed since middle school).  I'll let you know if I hit that one (I'm not planning to, frankly, but I'll keep working at it).  The goals I have hit include losing 3 inches from my chest, 3.5 inches from my waist, and 3 from my hips (all of which are at least .5 in. more than my goals)...which may not seem like a big deal, but, umm...it sure feels like it. 
  E.  I desperately need new pants. :)

VI.  Life is complicated.

Enough said.

1 comment:

  1. Min, where do you get all your energy!? As far as borrowing goes, I totally get you. Liv just. doesn't. get. it. I have found that we have to stop and start over so much until it finally clicks with her. I'm glad to know it isn't just my kid, but others have struggled and they do eventually master it!! Glad Bryson is going easy on you :)

    Congrats on the P90X results! You totally deserve it! My husband asked me if I'd want to do it with him...um no. I can't even do a 20 min Jillian video consistently. I don't see how I would do 90 min. But you make it sound fun!

    You rock Mindy!!

    ReplyDelete