Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

I know I do these things all the time...but...I keep reminding myself that I write this blog more as a reminder of what I have done in a week (a month), what I have done with my kids...not necessarily to be inspiring or brilliant or...well, anything remotely like that. Hehe...because I aim to be those things, but then reality strikes. :) So, my friend Kendra has been including this in her blog lately...and I love it. 


The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week...A new devotional, thanks to my son, who knew I wanted something new and got it for me for my birthday. Grace for the Moment, by Max Lucado. The Morning and Evening edition. Also, I'll be writing on another blog starting this week...I'm terrified and excited all at the same time. This week's entry is pretty tame...kind of set up like this post, actually.

In our homeschool this week...We started talking about slavery. Which...I don't think has really hit my kids yet. But when we start the read aloud--Amos Fortune, Free Man...I think it will.

I am inspired by...my son's enthusiasm to build and create. My daughter's excitement about acting and organizing plays with her cousins. Reasa's love for helping.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...we're going to Bath to do Karate. :) All of the cousins and aunts and uncles will be at my parents' on Sunday for our annual pumpkin carving photo shoot. On Monday, we're headed to the zoo, to claim Reasa's reward points for her chore chart. 

One of my favorite things...How planning for our Halloween costumes has become all about research and learning about the characters. Not exactly school, but...fun.

What's working/not working for us...Trying to get all of our chores done before school begins is not working. I need to be more diligent about setting a timer, and starting schoolwork when I say we will start. This method drags the day out too much, and we wind up doing Math at a time when the kids don't function well.

Questions/thoughts I have...It amazes me how different my children are in the work that they do. I know they are different...I know they work differently...gosh we've been doing this for 9 years...but the differences still blow my mind. And sometimes frustrate me to no end. ARGH!

Things I'm working on...diligence. Consistency. Being intentional. Keeping the kids on task. Helping them become more independent with their work.

I'm cooking...black bean soup. Sausage and shells. Zuppa Toscana. Baking a wedding cake for a friend I've known since she was born. Crazy.

I'm reading...One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. The first chapter tore me up. I have to re-read it. 

I'm grateful for...enough.

I'm praying for...inner peace. I know that sounds trite. I'm dead serious.

A photo to share...
Reasa...helping me. Homeschool happens in lots of ways.


 
Click on the graphic at the beginning of this post to see more posts by homeschool moms.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment