Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 1

Asylum, Speed and Agility: Calories burned, 375
Average Heartrate: 139

I absolutely loved this workout. The warm-up is hell. No joke. The work with the speed rope is like absolute death and torture. Before I started this, I thought, "It's jump rope. I can do that. No problem." Umm, no. It's 60 second speed work while you do squats or high knees or fancy footwork. Then you do another 60 seconds. When we moved to the ladder, I was relieved...it felt like a rest...until we went back to the rope. I think I've finally got the length of my rope right (and I'm glad I left myself a bunch of room on the end of the rope when I cut it--I had made it too short initially). I laughed so hard doing the mountain climber progression and the in and out progression though...I am really short. My legs just don't make it to the third box in the agility ladder with either of those!!  If the spaces between the slats were a little shorter, I might be able to do it, but there's just no possible way. I kept kicking the ladder and dragging it up with my toes. So, I'll jump to the top of the 2nd box on the 3rd set...the funny thing is, it doesn't matter. By the time I got to the third set in the progression, my knees were on the floor and I was dying. :)

I definitely need to work on my coordination with a few of the moves, and I need to step up my game all the way around, but all of this just means there's room for improvement and that's what I was going for. The only thing I'm not crazy about? Shaun T doesn't give any direction at the beginning of each exercise so I felt like I was spending the first 5 or 10 seconds learning the move before I was doing it with him. Now, granted, I needed the time to catch my freaking breath before going into the next exercise, but...I still felt like I didn't know what I was doing half the time. And these moves take some serious coordination. I've heard that he reminds you throughout a couple of the workouts that "This is not Insanity." As if to say, "Insanity is for creampuffs. You're in the real deal now." I guess that's the way it works now...no prep...just get in it and go. I think the next time through this workout will be better.  Except...that tomorrow is Strength.

And it's 12 hours after my first workout and I. Am. Sore. Very sore. I'm considering doing Relief tonight...maybe stretch all this stiffness out. Ugh.

And nutrition...starts tomorrow. ;) Memorial Day is no time to start a nutrition plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment