Monday, January 10, 2011

Catching up

This week, I'm staring insanity in the face. No, not just my workout, though I'm there too, but every facet of life this week.  On the agenda?  Three birthday cakes, meeting the little one I'll start watching in a couple of weeks, makingabout 200 cheesecake truffles, a wedding cake with cupcake sized petit fours, and hundreds of mini cupcakes, slamming through school, swim lessons, horse lessons, and maybe a couple of drop in classes at the gym, getting the girls to youth group, church, and a trip for me to Rochester to showcase my cakes at my brother's studio opening.  I sat down yesterday and listed everything that needs to be done, with amounts, shopping lists, ordered last minute supplies from my cake supply place, realized I should have done that about three weeks ago...hehe...I never procrastinate.

I'm a little overwhelmed this morning.  So what do I do when I'm overwhelmed?  Avoid my to-do list.  Brilliant, right??  But...I do have a to-do list.  Actually, I have several of them.  I figured that I'd knock out the fun thing first this morning.  "BLOG" is on my to-do list.  Really.  It is.  So, with B. Reith playing in the background, I'm clicking away at my keyboard...realizing that all I've got today is news.  I have about 10 more serious posts sitting in my drafts folder staring at me each time I open it...but I'm avoiding them.  News will have to do today.

We plowed through the first week of January and really enjoyed the return to routine after the madness of the holidays.  Well, I did, anyway.  The kids didn't complain too much about school until...oh, Thursday morning.  It worked out nicely as we had a playdate that afternoon with our friends, the Ernsts, in Binghamton...including a trip to the pool for an hour of chilly swimming (they weren't chilly. Just the grown-ups who stood in the pool walking around making sure no one drowned).  Oh, how I have missed my friends.  I so enjoyed my time with Stacy and watching our kids, umm, not get along at all (ha.).

With our return to our school routine, I also revisited Insanity hard core last week...whew.  What a relief.  After a month of TurboFire (which is FUN! but...not enough), a month of a TurboFire/Insanity Hybrid (also FUN! but not enough), I decided I needed a month of what I love best.  And...here I am...loving it, just as I knew I would.  Shaun T. kicks my butt every single day.  I think I need to stop using my heartrate monitor (yeah right), as the calorie burn on Max Cardio Conditioning this morning was a little discouraging...and when it comes down to it, the calorie burn isn't why I'm doing it.  I just hate to look at my friends' numbers and see things like "784" for the same workout that when I do it, I'm burning under 400.  Ugh.  My bloggy friend Laura uses her blog daily as a tracker for her workout accountability...I'm not sure how faithful I'll be with that...but I love the idea.  Sorry, Laura...I'm biting off your idea....Day 43 (my day 339!!) Insanity, Max Cardio Conditioning: 385 cal, avg. heartrate: 149.  I started a 100 pushup challenge a few weeks ago, and have been off track with that...plan to kick it back into gear today--will go backwards for a couple of weeks, I'm sure, but I can't wait until I can say that I can do 100 pushups in a row. :)  There might be something wrong with me. I do realize this.  Additionally, last week I did a 3-day Shakeology cleanse, to refocus my eating.  I didn't gain weight over the holidays, and overall, I can't really complain about how I felt after they had all passed, but after 8 months of carefully monitoring just about everything I ate, a month of paying very little attention to nutrition...my focus was off.  The cleanse (3 shakes a day, 2 cups of green tea, 2 pieces of fruit, and a dinner of salad with white meat) reminded me of why I eat: to fuel my body.  I think that might be a blog post all by itself...remind me that I said that.  So...this week, I feel fantastic.  Seriously, I look back on my life and think about the number of times I've been able to say that...I don't remember any.  Any.  How sad is that?  And at the same time... :) ...what better time in my life to be able to say it??

So...the moment I click "publish post" today...I'm basically at a sprint...but then...that's kind of the story of my life, now, isn't it??  This week we study fractions as division problems, adding numbers close to 100, continue on our crazy journal-a-day adventure, Charlemagne and Beowulf, the lungs and germs, I Corinthians 13, and an introduction to chess. :)  I already have two more blog ideas floating around in my brain...but...hehe...eventually I have to accomplish something today...and the kids are almost done with their journal. Happy Monday, friends!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You have a lot to do this week. WOW. I will never say again that I am way too busy. hahahaha

    I think your HRM is malfunctioning though... There is NO WAY you're only burning 385 calories when your avg. hr is 149!!! What kind are you using? What I have noticed recently with mine is that when I'm jumping a lot... which is something you do a ton of in Insanity... and when I'm doing plank work... again, something you do a ton of in Insanity... my HRM doesn't work. It'll lose the rate which then doesn't register the calories burned. Just food for thought.

    UGH... Beowulf... so did not enjoy that one in HS!!!! Good luck with that to-do list!!!

    ReplyDelete