Monday, January 10, 2011

Housing

So.  Finding housing.  Not Fun.

Not that I've done a hardcore search in the area at this point.  But.  The research I've done, on craigslist, in the newspapers, the penny saver, real estate listings, in general conversation...has pointed to something I already knew: housing is expensive.  Blame it on the booming gas industry, lack of available housing, blame it on whatever you want to blame it on, the fact of the matter is that in our area, there is very, very little available and virtually nothing that has 3 bedrooms and fits our budget in an community in which I am willing to raise my kids.  Rental property is through the roof.  And getting a mortgage by myself is out of the question right now.  Blame destroyed credit for that one.  If you have the ability to live debt free from the time you can get credit...do it.  Then if life crumbles for you, at least you won't worry about getting a mortgage.  I don't know how families living on close to minimum wage are able to afford decent housing right now.  I really don't.

So, after a preliminary search, and much conversation...my parents stepped in.  If I haven't mentioned lately how grateful I am for everything they have done in my life and continue to do, please allow me to stand up right now and do that: my position right now if they weren't doing the things they're doing...would be unfortunate.  They have been my rescuers through this whole process, allowing us to have a place to live during transition, supporting us in every possible way when I couldn't have done it.  They decided last week to look into the option of buying a piece of income property, putting us in it to help with the down payment and pay the mortgage/insurance/taxes/utilities while we live there and make it better.  They got pre-approved for a mortgage, walked through a couple of houses, talked through the details of time frame, budget, down-the-road plans, and so on, and...we will go back to look at one of them together tomorrow afternoon.  Is the housing situation solved?  Not entirely...but it could be.  Soon.  If you're a praying friend...I'd so appreciate your prayers for wisdom and direction as options are discussed and decisions are made.  I'll keep you posted.  :)

2 comments:

  1. That's wonderful how your parents are helping you Mindy. You are very blessed! I love your mom and dad :) as do many other people!! I know we couldn't be where we are without the help of my parents either. I'll definitely be praying for you guys.

    Oh and btw - I got a kitchenaid mixer for Christmas! So I am definitely going to be trying those cinnamon rolls you sent me the recipe for (ages ago!) :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck sweetheart... prayers are being sent your way!!! Thank goodness for our parents though... :)

    ReplyDelete